How do you survive in a desert town that has a record high temperature of 117F? You go into hiding, literally. The mining town of Coober Pedy, Australia uses the dirt for both their livelihood and their lives. CNET Senior Editor Claire Reilly visited recently as part of her web site’s “Road Trip 2018” series. She joins the show to discuss her venture into one community’s existence in the subterranean Outback!
- Connect: Claire Reilly Twitter
- Read: Claire’s Coober Pedy trip report for CNET
- See: Claire’s pictures of Coober Pedy
- Visit: Crocodile Harry’s Underground Nest and Dugout
- Gear: Bose in-ear noise-canceling headphones, recommendations from friends
- Media recommendations: David Attenborough documentaries, “Vanity Fair“, “One for the Road” by Tony Horwitz (Mike’s pick on the Australian Outback)